Bill McKibben - Founder, 350.org
Bill McKibben is an author, environmentalist, and activist. In 1988, he wrote The End of Nature, the first book for a common audience about global warming. He is the co-founder and Chairman of the Board at 350.org, an international climate campaign that works in 188 countries around the world.
Upcoming Appearances and Events (on BillMcKibben.com)
Bill McKibben, a well known environmental author and activist, is the founder of 350.org, an international climate change campaign. 350.org is named for the safe level of Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere, 350 parts per million.
When he's not busy organizing, Bill is an active writer on the climate crisis and other environmental issues. His 1989 book The End of Nature was the first book to warn the general public about the threat of global warming. Bill is a frequent contributor to various magazines including The New York Times, The Atlantic Monthly, Harper's, Orion Magazine, Mother Jones, The New York Review of Books, Granta, Rolling Stone, and Outside. He is also a board member and contributor to Grist Magazine. He has been awarded Guggenheim and Lyndhurst Fellowships, and won the Lannan Prize for nonfiction writing in 2000. He is currently a Scholar in Residence at Middlebury College and lives in Ripton, Vermont with his wife, author Sue Halpern, and daughter Sophie.
For more information, please visit: www.billmckibben.com
Bill's been leading the fight against global warming for 20 years, since he wrote the first book for a general audience on the subject, The End of Nature in 1989. But, let's face it, taking on the climate crisis is going to take more than a few good books: it's going to take a movement.
Photo Credit: Steve Liptay. Download high-resolution original here.
- Aug 18, 2010, Bill McKibben, The Guardian, "Why has extreme weather failed to heat up the climate debate?"
- Aug 4, 2010, Bill McKibben, TomDispatch.com, "We're hot as hell and we're not going to take it any more."
- Aug 4, 2010, Bill McKibben, LA Times, "It's time to talk, and act, tough."
- Feb 24, 2010, Bill McKibben, LA Times, "The O.J. tactic."
- October 19, 2009, Bill McKibben and Chip Giller, Grist, "Day of Climate Action Shows Power of Web Organizing"
- September 9, 2009, Rev. Lennox Yearwood Jr. & Bill McKibben, The Nation, “People, Let's Get Our Carbon Down”
- Nov. 6, 2008, Bill McKibben, The Guardian, "Welcome to Reality, Mr. President Elect"
- June 23, 2008 Bill McKibben, Washington Post "End of the Open Road"
- May 11, 2008, Bill McKibben, LA Times, "Civilization's Last Chance"
Aug 17, 2010, Triple Pundit Talks to Bill McKibben
May 17, 2010, Charlie Rose: Bill McKibben
Apr 30, 2010, Bill McKibben on NPR's On Point
Apr 15, 2010, Bill McKibben on Democracy Now
Apr 13, 2010, Bill McKibben on MarketPlace
Aug 17, 2009, Bill McKibben on the Colbert Report